Have you ever wondered how a dog walks? Or a cat? Both legs on one side at a time? Cris-cross or diagonal? How many different gaits do these animals have? Are cats and dogs the same? You may never have wondered about these things, but they are important when making sculptures of cats and gods.
So, I asked THE GOOGLE and got some fascinating answers.
- First–it turns out that over half of the toys made of dogs and other animals have incorrect gaits. Same for cartoons.
- Second–cats, camels, and giraffes may have a different gait from all other 4 legged animals. But more research is needed before I can confirm that fact.
- Third–in general, dogs do leave 3 legs on the ground at a time when walking.
So check out these videos.
For a cat walking: Cat Walking Video
For a dog walking (and other gaits): Dog Gaits Video
And more information about dog gaits: Science Daily Article about Dog Gaits
Now that you are educated on cat and dog movement, I leave you with two questions to ponder:
- how would a six legged animal walk?
- Do wings count as legs when considering dragon cat movement?