One of my long term goals has been to incorporate LED lights into my artwork. And for the holiday season, I have managed to finish a couple small projects that work as table decorations. Instructions below.
The luminaries are a perfect project for beginning art students. Using watercolor pictures, quality not important, and fold them into cubes.
- Lay your picture face down on the table.
- Make a fold about 1/3 of width, bring part of the picture face-up.
- Repeat on the other side, making sure that the folded picture covers about 1/2 an inch over the first fold.
- Glue the two pieces together.
- Once dry, open the tube and squash flat a second time, creating a retangular tube.
- Insert one of the small LED Candle lights.
Voila, Finished Luminaria. It may seem confusing, but after you play with a couple sheets of paper, creating a cube will seem like second nature. Five minutes and you turn all those practice paintings into lovely decorations.
The little elephant is a harder project. I took one of those lunimanries and pulled off the plastic flame. Glued rocks around the plastic base. And then put a little glass figurine on top of the light source. Since it is a colored led, the elephant appears green. The complex crystal figurines are beautiful, the light reflects through all the facets of the animal.