Yes, I am alive and doing well despite rumors to the contrary. Evidently various family members have been checking with Bob to see what’s happening since both the quantity and quality of blog posts has diminished. The last month has been an incredibly creative and productive time, just not with the writing.
Decided to start finishing some projects, beginning with the lady in the moon. It was one of my first forays into both sculpture (with paper mache) and lighting (using a set of christmas lights). Made a ton of mistakes and then put it away for a year. As the creator, I can see every small error and the large ones also. Not finished yet, at least I know how to get past the problem spots. Plaster, spray paint, gesso, and a willingness to accept paint spots on light bulbs as artistic elements helped with this transformation. Last weekend I finished the back. And I now have the patience to slowly paint small sections at a time. 20 hours of painting and it probably will be done. Below is a picture of it partially finished. Look for a series of photos showing the progress in a couple of weeks. Every weekend, I put on a few mor
But thats not all. I’ve been working on my painting. At lunch a couple weeks ago, a friend at work taught a short class on using water color pencils. We did apples. I don’t have my watercolor apple from the class, another friend borrowed it as an example and then lost it. Dang…won’t lend her my pictures without at least getting a photo first. So I tried to redo the apple using INKIST, software on the IPAD. Here’s the first apple.
And then I went on to multiple water color pencil drawings. First picture of Elly had a bad perspective. That lead to an exercise of doing 20 complete drawing of her in an attempt to get a good one. You will see those later when I finish the series. Right now I am on number 7. Each drawing takes hours, so it will take a few more weeks to complete. And I have tried several other drawings with watercolor pencils to learn techniques — how to draw, how to blend, how to add the wash. Actually have a few good photos of the work. But I must confess that the photos look better than the reality. More vibrant and better contrast. I still don’t think I am a water color person–it is too hard to correct mistakes. But the medium is intriguing.
But we still are not done with the artwork. You see, I also took a beading class and have gotten back into making jewelry. This started when visiting Liz in Albuquerque. We went to a beading shop and bought way too many beads. Gorgeous hematite, lovely tiger eyes, copper beads, and more. The photo below shows a small portion of the recent output. There are a few more necklaces downstairs waiting for clasps and earrings waiting for fasteners. Plus another dozen necklaces in the planning. Guess what everyone will be getting as presents over the next few months.
But wait, have done still more work this last weekend. I am not teaching electronics although I now have two art studios that want me to do so. Art beat on Main Street offered me a teaching gig last saturday night while we visited their wine bar and listened to piano jazz. And of course I can teach at the California Sculpture Academy. The question is can I figure out how to make money from this process. And of course, first I have to learn all the electronics before I can teach the classes. To do this, I am making a lighted tree sculpture. And working through a series of electronic lessons. Spent hours wondering how to do the complicated wiring of 24 LED’s until I realized that 8 groups of LED’s was really easy. No real impact to the artistic element, having 8 groups also leaves me with a lot of input ports on the computer. That means I can play with fancy knobs to change the color, the brightness, the blinking rate and even allow the user to set a timer on the lamp. Might even pull together a light organ which would allow the tree to light up based on music. Below are photos of the electronics class, tree being checked out by Elly, and some of my notes on electronics.
And still more has been going on. Decided to reuse an old embroidered pillow (the frog on a rock) as a seat cover. Maggie has been gone for years and probably has forgotten the pillow. If she complains to loudly then I will put making a replacement on the to-do list although when it gets done is negotiable. Here’s the chair.