Class four for Sculpture last friday. My bust is coming along, the size is pretty much control. Proportions are correct and things like the mouth size, cheek width, and profile line are good. Now it’s fixing little things; a curve on the cheek, the line of the lower lid on the eye; and the fullness of the lips. I spent a long period working on the ear. Shape wise it looked great until I stepped away from the bust. At that point, I realized that ears do not stick right next to the skull. Time to cut them off and bring them out. Only I screwed up both of them in the process so now one is too big and one is too small, both are distorted and need fixing. And as one piece gets fixed, other problems crop up like a flat spot on the skull. It’s a fairly amazing process.
And got the idea for another project. We use stands that essentially are bar chairs on wheels with a tray on top that can be raised up or down by using a pin / pole system. There are 3-5 different positions available. These stands cost 300 dollars new and are only student quality. A good one that allows micro-control of the height can cost lots more. Since the ones at the school are old and have been abused; replacements are on the wish list. But we should be able to build some good ones fairly quickly with a wood bar stool, wheels, and poles. Adding in a small scissor’s jack would give micro control and I bet the materials would be less than 100 dollars.