Over the last few months, I’ve been working on a mosaic table top. Using some cheap porcelain tiles and a cheap glass topped bistro table, I started by creating a simple picture with broken pieces of tile. Didn’t use a tile nibbler or any fancy cutting, only a hammer. Then each small piece was placed into the the pattern. Once chosen, the pieces were individually sanded and then the gluing started. It’s pretty interesting how much the pattern changed as it was being glued. Individual pieces didn’t quite fit back in the same place, so the pattern got shifted around.
And that’s how I ended up with a cat with the elephant foot. Not being happy with the results, there were several options. First; leave it as is. Second, chip out the pieces and try to redo it. Third, do some other artistic thing with the pattern. Leave it as it was didn’t make me happy, I looked at the table and felt embarrassed by the bad design. Chipping it out was fraught with danger from braking the glass table top plus I probably would not be able to match mortar color. It had been a custom dye job. So Bob came up with the third option — paint some grass. Using the internet, it turns out to be very simple to paint with acrylics on ceramic tiles, so I did. And here’s the end result.
It’s much better and I learned a new trick. I want to make the next mosaic with small tiles, doing something like the Roman mosaics. But if things don’t turn out perfect, then the project can become mixed media with the addition of paint. But best of all, this is another big project that got finished.