Calm start to the new year

On New Years morning, all of us were tired. On Tuesday, we had done the long drive back from THE FARM (my parents place). It takes 11-12 hours without bad traffic. But we did get to stop at Tito’s Taco’s in west LA on the way home. Tito’s Tacos has been a family tradition for most of Bob’s life. He went there as a young boy, riding his bike and buying large flour tortilla’s for a nickel. And of course his parents ate. There, it was both good and cheap. Later, Bob and I used to eat there all the time when we were living in Mar Vista and attending UCLA. Even 25 plus years since we left LA, we still like to eat at this restaurant. The girls and Elly look forward to it. Elly gets to sit under the outside tables smelling lots of good food. And then when done, she gets a doggy tostada: beef, beans, cheese, and perhaps a bit of lettuce on a tortilla chip. Yummm!

We all had a good time up north and yet, all were glad to come home. It was funny in the morning, Elly knew something was up and stuck very close to Bob while we were packing the car. My folks were fantastic, they got up at 4 am to make everyone english muffin egg sandwiches customized for individual people. And there was lots of good coffee. So Bob and Kate got no cheese on theirs while Liz and I had cheese with the egg and ham. Then Elly slept the entire way home, sprawled in the backseat over various occupants. Kate got some good driving practice, first on Highway 5 in the Central Valley and then from Los Angeles down to Oceanside. At one point, there was a stalled car ahead in our lane. Kate was having trouble merging into another lane and we got lucky — the car was able to move over. She did a good job driving, it was tough driving for anyone.

For New Year’s Eve, Kate had a friend come visit and they got to order pizza delivery. Gunshots and firecrackers started at 9 pm (new york time). But before 9 pm, I had gone to bed, telling Bob I was so tired I felt sick. Sleep helped, I was in bed for over 12 hours which felt delightful. New Year’s Day started with lots of play and fun. Charlie decided at way too dark oh so early in the morning with play. He wanted Sophia to get up. But since she didn’t want to play, Sophia buried into the blankets and Charlie went hunting. That means he puts his paws under the blankets and fishes for something. When it’s my back he finds, it hurts. And so he got booted from the bedroom. Then he stood outside the door and sang. Elly busted out of the kitchen and came crawling into bed, opening the door for Charlie. All three animals got booted from the bedroom and Bob got up to make coffee. I slept.

Later in the morning on New Years Day, Sally the cat took over my pillow. She likes to sleep in the morning sun. Sophia and Charlie are more people cats, they took over Liz’s lap and I was able to get a great picture of all dozing happily in the sun.


The first day of 2014 continued to be very nice. Spent the morning trying to get my computer downgraded. Have with much difficulty gotten to the point where I want the computer to install windows 7 software. As I go through the process — using several computers including the IPAD to look up manuals, the MAC to run how to videos from you-tube, and an xp computer to copy files onto chips. Have multiple devices and still can’t seem to get this new laptop to remove it’s OS. Why do they make it so hard to set up a programming environment?

At noon, I went on a labyrinth walk with some friends to welcome the new year. It was joyous, I felt good. Last time I had done the walk, I had to be careful. Yesterday, I could walk and not think about any knee injuries; that is good progress. After that, we went to see the Hobbit — a good fantasy movie, a lousy interpretation of the book. Smaug was great and there were some good scenes with Gandalf. But the barrel riding looked like a disney ride and the ending was very abrupt. It’s painful that we have to wait another year for the end; amazing how a 250 page book can be turned into three movies. To end the day, Bob cooked a good dinner–nothing fancy, just frozen leftovers–but it tasted good. Finished the evening by doing a bit more work on a story. It’s hard to write, I need to make a set time for doing this. But that will come this year somehow along with a lot of other new activities. I’m looking forward to 2014.


Author: Heres to ART not Cockroaches

Welcome to my life. My life as a mom is changing as the kids grow up, leave home, and build their own lives. This gives me a chance to rebuild myself as an artist, develop a spiritual path, and most fun of all, start going out on dates with my husband. Come here the stories about the small things in life that can make one very happy. Dogs running on a beach, great breakfast dates, kids and their adventures, and my own adventures in this wacky life. I'll share some of my progress in learning art while juggling a full time job as an engineer. And best of all, it's a chance for me to practice writing stories while keeping in touch with my kids. I look forward to hearing from you. Comments, thoughts, and invitations to meet for coffee are all welcomed. Enjoy the stories.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s