This week is almost done. 6.5 more hours at work, one more stop at school, and I’m free for a few hours. It has been a long week and I want to sleep in to 7 am. Lots of minor disasters and interesting challenges.
1. On Tuesday night I was the class entertainment. Lighting a blow torch is a challenge, so everyone watches me struggle. Someone usually offers to light it for me, an offer I turn down out of stubborn pride. I also managed to dump the contents of my tool box on the floor, spill an entire bottle of goo be gone across the table, flip a pan of hot wax onto the floor, and drop my sculptures multiple times. But I’m proud to say that Thursday night was much better and I got the two sculptures ready for shelling. What that means is the wax is now ready to be coated with multiple layers of shellac and silica creating a ceramic shell around the sculpture. Once that gets done, we melt out the wax and pour in the bronze.
2. On wednesday, I managed to learn a number of new ways to mess up my database. Now I’m responsible for the quality of the data in this database. And no errors are tolerated. So when I start messing up stuff, I get to fix it. My general practice is to stop working in there, correct the mistakes, go ask a co-worker to double check my corrections, and then write down what I did. Later we’ll create tools to check for those kinds of errors, adding them into my database correction suite. Paranoia about making mistakes actually has a good effect in the long run.
3. On thursday I woke up thinking it was friday. Was bummed when I found out that there were two more days in the week.
4. On thursday, I went to a friends birthday lunch. Gave her some fabric as a present so she can make some fancy grocery bags and actually use her brand new sewing machine. Others also are interested, so now I’m teaching a sewing class a work in two weeks.
5. This morning the alarm went off at Oh Way Too Early an Hour. Sophia loves the alarm clock. For her, that means its time to wake me up and cuddle. I hate it. I want to sleep more. Went to bed after 11 pm last night and work up at 5:30 am. More coffee is needed.
6. After finishing this breakfast at Allan’s Alley, I have to go back home. Forgot my clothes for getting dirty at school. The dipping process for sculptures takes hours. 10 minutes to dip, 4 hours to dry. Repeat 10 times. Every time I go, I get really dirty. Drips of shellac all over my clothes and shoes. So I really don’t want to use my work clothes for this.
7. I get to go fill up a car with gas for the third time this week. Bad luck. For multiple reasons, I’ve had to drive all three of them and always got them with an empty tank.
8. Get off work early today and should go pay the property taxes. Have to pay the car insurance. Should pay the mortgage, but that can wait until the next paycheck on the12th. No more money in the checking account.
Ok, finished the last cup of coffee, so have to (1) go home and get clothes, (2) go spend lots of money at the gas station, and then (3) go to work. No more delays. Have a great day.